Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Representing Core Elements of Design through Storyboarding

Individual and Group Storyboarding:a reflection on the experience

H817 OU UK Activity 15

Although I enjoy being creative and experimenting with tools to create artefacts, I was initially sceptical about this storyboarding activity. I couldn't see how storyboarding was going to offer clarity to our  project which involves designing an e-assessment toolkit for the assessment of multi-media artefacts in a design based course. Every learning context has so many variables that either you create something so abstract that it becomes oversimplified, or you go into great detail and produce something that is so prescriptive that it looses the potential to be flexible and adaptable.

Pre-storyboarding

Our group held a synchronous meeting to discuss all of the activities in weeks 16 / 17 and to clear up any issues of significance. I mentioned here that our storyboard activity could be designed from the perspective of the teacher, as the user of our toolkit and from the perspective of the learner as the receiver. In response to this, a team member suggested that we capture both perspectives as we could then extract the most significant elements and include them in our group board.

Creation of individual storyboards

I could have used the Google template we were offered, but opted for linoit as I use this tool for teaching, so I'm familiar with it. The affordances of the tool supported the design that I had in mind (see figure 1), which isn't typical of a storyboard design.

   
    Figure 1 P. Daniels Storyboard 2013 (Team ADaPT)

When I started thinking about how to design this storyboard I wanted to create something that helped me take my thinking a bit further, something that aided me in synthesising what we've been working on to date in regard to design patterns and principles, so I decided to create a variation on a design course. Creating a basic prototype of a course enabled me to place myself in the role of both teacher and student and to visualize how our toolkit might be implemented and what challenges might emerge.


Dave designed something similar and Priya designed a type of filmstrip with teachers and students separated by a bar, which represented mediating assessment strategies and tools. Speech bubbles captured their needs and their concerns in regards to assessment. We then extracted the most significant elements from the three boards and created a group board.

Group storyboard


In order to save time and because of the hours that some of our team members work, which makes it difficult to collaborate synchronously at a reasonable time of the evening, Priya and I met during the day and created a Prezi and then presented this to the team for critique and editing via the university forum. When this process was completed our team leader, Dave, embedded the storyboard into our team project site (see figure 2).




Figure 2 Team ADaPT Group storyboard 2013: Assessment Learning Journey


What have I learned from this process

This step in the design process has been helpful. By stepping into the role of both teacher and student, I made associations back to the personas we created in weeks 14 / 15 and to the design patterns and principles that we've selected to inform the design of our innovation. Gradually it's becoming evident why we are working through our project in this manner. Each step is not only a step forward, but it adds another layer: the innovation is in a sense gaining depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment